benniesposito.com Forum Index benniesposito.com
In memory of Benni Esposito

FAQFAQ     SearchSearch       RegisterRegister     ProfileProfile     Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages     Log inLog in  

Benni in the National

Post new topic   Reply to topic    benniesposito.com Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrahamP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Benni in the National Reply with quote

My brother was in the National Portrait Gallery the other day, mincing around, when lo and, you know - a picture of Benni was there!

It's by Jackie and I'm off to see it in 10 minutes, mixed feelings as its always hard to look at a face which which was so alive. Will be fascinated to see how people are reacting to it.
Jackie Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Benni's portrait Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I have been meaning to to let everyone know about Benni's portrait being exhibited for weeks now, many apoligies to Juno who got a bit of a shock bumping into in without warning.

The painting is in the BP Portrait Award in the National Portrait Gallery and will be there until the 25 September. the exhibition also goes to Aberdeen later in the year, but I don't have the dates for that yet.

If anyone would like to see the picture just let me know and I can send a photo of it to their e-mail address.

Bye for now, Jackie
GrahamP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a beautiful picture, right in the corner of the gallery. Very sad to look at for those who know and surreal to see those who don't looking without knowing.

I got an A3 print-out of it, going to put it on my wall so I can see Benni every day and remember what an amazing person he was.

Still missing him a lot like everyone who visit this board I'm sure. It's wonderful that Jackie has captured Benni's essence in the painting for so many to see. Hope Benni's own work is up in the National before too long.

Last edited by GrahamP on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackie Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really glad you liked it Graham. I've always wondered if he looks a bit too angelic in the painting, and half expect him to break into a cheeky grin and dirty laugh!

This is going to be a hard week with Benni's birthday on wednesday, I'm going to go up to Dundee to mark the occassion. I moved down to Glasgow two months before Benni died and I find it hard to go back to Dundee with Benni gone, but it seems like the right place to be on the day somehow. I'm sure we will all be thinking of him. I'm going to try my best to think of how lucky I was to have know him rather than the pain of losing him.

Jackie
GrahamP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's perfect Jackie, took me a long time to be able to look at a picture of Benni, still couldn't look at one with his eyes staring back, would be too sad. He looks peaceful, restful.

I'd love to be able to come back for his birthday but won't be able to, hope you all have as good a time as is possible without Benni.
martin esposito
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally managed to get down to the national portrait gallery to see the painting of benni. i was slightly apprehensive beforehand, not knowing how i would react to seeing a painting of my brother.

it is a truly outstanding painting and jackie has managed to capture benni's features to create and astonishing likeness. i found it uncanny that despite being painted in jackie's distinctive style of calm, soft pale colours (sorry jackie, am not an artist), the painting, and benni seem to jump out at you. i also think that it is very apt that benni is in the national portrait gallery, a place that i know he enjoyed visiting very much.

i would definately recommend a visit to anyone who can get down there whilst the exhibition is on. all the entries are worth viewing.

martin.
Jackie Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martin, I'm glad you liked it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    benniesposito.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: