benniesposito.com Forum Index benniesposito.com
In memory of Benni Esposito

FAQFAQ     SearchSearch       RegisterRegister     ProfileProfile     Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages     Log inLog in  

Benni

Post new topic   Reply to topic    benniesposito.com Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil McLeod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Benni Reply with quote

Hello to all people who visit this site.

I knew Benni through buying his paintings (I'm a bit of an art collector), and I admired him greatly for his artistic talent. I only found out last month that he had passed away at the start of the year, and I was so desperately sorry to hear of his untimely death.

I have read most of the posts on this site, and am moved by the great love and respect that everyone obviously had for Benni. I didn't see him that often, but I certainly counted him as one of my friends, and I am so sad that I won't bump into him at the Duncan of Jordanstone Degree Show in future years.

However, I am honoured to have known him at all, and so very pleased to have some of his works in my collection, which give me great pleasure daily.

The world is definitely a poorer place without Benni, and my thoughts go to all his family.

Regards,

Neil McLeod
Aberdeen
GrahamP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil,

Benni always spoke very highly of you and your consistent purchasing of his paintings was always hugely appreciated by him. I remember him finishing pieces and keenly putting them in the back of his mum's Clio to drive up to you in Aberdeen.

Out of interest, which of his paintings do you have?

Graham
Neil McLeod

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Graham,

Thanks for the response to my posting. I have 7 of Benni's works, all of them oil on canvas, as follows (I've given sizes as well):

The Sword of Progress, 45 x 52cm
Party Girl, 50 x 60cm
Transmission, 64 x 97cm
World of Opportunities, 40 x 55cm
Waiting Room, 51 x 69cm
Mars, 17 x 17cm
Untitled Study (Flowing Gown), 16 x 22cm

Benni always said that "The Sword of Progress" was one of his favourites, and he wanted to buy it back one day! I think is probably my favourite.

If you look at the extract from Benni's work in the top left hand corner of this website, the girl looking down with eyes closed, I think that is taken from "Waiting Room". I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is her. (Can't check it out, as I use the internet at work, and the painting is at home of course.)

Unfortunately, "Transmission" has met with a slight accident, and has a scratch right down the front of it (dropped a mirror). I was going to ask Benni if he would repair it next time I saw him, so sad that can't happen now. I'll get someone else to repair it that I know, they had better do a good job, I'll make sure it is restored to something he would have approved of......

Benni did borrow back the paintings for at least 1 exhibition that I can remember, so they might be familiar to some people. Suffice to say, they are all currently hung in my house (except the damaged "Transmission"). They are all superb, and I really take great pleasure from them every day.

With very best wishes,

Neil McLeod
Aberdeen
Sally

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: World of Opportunities Reply with quote

Hello Neil,

Please excuse my audacious request, but would you be willing to consider parting with a World of Opportunities? I am the girl in the picture, and it would mean a great deal to me if I could have it for myself, especially since learning of Benni's untimely death earlier this year.

Of course I will understand if you choose not to part with it, but I would be much obliged if you would at least give it some serious thought. What do you think?

All the best to you (and all of Benni's friends on this forum),
Sally
Neil McLeod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: World of Opportunities Reply with quote

Hello Sally,

I hope you aren't going to be too disappointed by my response, but after a lot of soul-searching since I read your post, I am sorry to say I don't really want to part with the "World of Opportunities" at this time.

However, if I change my mind in the future, I will give you the first chance of buying it if I decide to sell, I promise you that.

As I said in my first post, I am a bit of an art collector. However, this is the first time anyone has asked me about selling any of my works! It isn't something I have had to think about before, and I'm really sorry if this causes any major disappointment.

By the way, assuming that Benni has accurately portrayed you in the painting (which he always did), you have lovely eyes!!

Cheers,

Neil
Sally

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Perfectly understandable response Reply with quote

Hi Neil,

I would have been surprised if you had decided to part with it, but I would ask that you do keep me in mind, in the event that you decide to sell it in the future. You understand that I had to ask!

Thanks for the compliment -- he actually did paint a fairly good likeness of me, from photographs only. I was amazed when he sent me a photo of it, which will have to do in lieu of the painting.

Best regards,
Sally
Jackie Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Benni's paintings Reply with quote

To Neil,

I'm currently cataloguing Benni's paintings and there is only one picture missing now. It's a small one of a girl wrapped in a sheet, and I think it belongs to you. Would it be possible at all for you to send me a photograph of this painting? My email address in anderson_jackie32@yahoo.co.uk and my home address in Flat 3/2, 18 Montague St, Glasgow, G4 9HX. Hopefully speak to you soon,

Jackie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    benniesposito.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: