benniesposito.com Forum Index benniesposito.com
In memory of Benni Esposito

FAQFAQ     SearchSearch       RegisterRegister     ProfileProfile     Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages     Log inLog in  

Benni Tops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    benniesposito.com Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin esposito
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Benni Tops Reply with quote

just trying to think of all the amazing 'sponsored' tops benni used to wear when he was on stage with broccoli or doing his stand up. i'm sure there were loads and loads but can only remember a few. i definitely remember him wearing a 'mecca' bingo shirt and i am sure he also had a brownie t-shirt. i also have photos of him playing base with brocolli wearing a B&Q polo shirt. benni always was way ahead of the times. he was touring japan and europe advertising B&Q long before ellen macarthur even considered sailing around the world!

can anyone remind me of anymore?

martin.
Wee Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the promo photo's for the 1998 Edinburgh show he did with Graham P and myself Benni wears a Tampax T-shirt.

Still got those photo's, Graham?
GrahamP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Hi Sandy Reply with quote

Benni had the originals for the photos, I remember him showing them to me. I do however have a copy of the 'More to Life than Meaty Eyes' flier with our picture on the back ....... how long ago.

I'm putting together a couple of things to send to Wayne for the site, so, as they say, watch this, you know.....

About Benni's tops - he had a wonderful one, which said (something like) 'et tu pleasur justifier suffrance', does your pleasure justify another's suffering, with a picture of a cow and pig beneath.

He was always very generous with his tops, infact he gave that one to my brother Xander.
Wee Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember, during the days of Christies comedy club, that Benni wore a t-shirt with the slogan "Lovemen." repeated several times. I think it may have been the name of a band. Anyway, Reg Anderson and Joe Heenan, the biggest fish wives in Scottish comedy, who were sharing a flat at the time got the idea that Benni was gay. I told Benni this and he decided to go along with it. I think he kept them going for quite a few months.

See Benni Stories for other wind ups.
Jacqui

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: T-shirts Reply with quote

There was a Godzilla one he used to wear in 1994/95 that I remember stealing. I wore it for years!
mascott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Benni's Sainsburys Jumper Reply with quote

I remember the first time I met Benni and went to the pub with Martin.
Benni was wearing a Sainsburys jumper!!
You could just tell he did'nt work in Sainsburys
In fact you could tell it had'nt been made with him in mind as it was a little short in the arms
miquette

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Benni Tops Reply with quote

it's really good to read all these posts!! i gave Benni the mecca bingo shirts he really loved them ! and he gave me an old girl guide jumper that was too wee for him!
miquette

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Benni Tops Reply with quote

i also remeber he had a t-shirt saying "wednesday night" that he wore any night of course.
GrahamP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'It's Wednesday Night' t-shirt was from a somewhat shambolic night that me and Benni did at the Union a few years ago. It was foisted upon us when TFI Friday was considered cool and it involved such classic games as throwing paper balls at a Des Lynam cutout and, well, there must have been more but that's all I can remember.

Benni never thought the night was much juice and swiftly 'moved on to other projects', he did like the t-shirt though!
miquette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i remeber him telling me that the wednesday night show didn't work out too well, he also gave me a t-shirt saying "assert riotous assembly" i love that t-shirt too it's great.
GrahamP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He loved stickers as well - sent me a couple of beauties 'I love my old English Sheepdog' and 'Love is Life'.
miquette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i have a "love is life" sticker too , i still havent stuck it anywhere yet he also mentioned that he really loved writing letters to people and would collect things to send his pen pals.
Elizabeth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a lot of Benni's t shirts, I have the one that has written down the front, THE WORLDS TEN GREATEST F**** then from 1 to 10 tells you what they are.

Whenever I got Sharon Benni and Martin together I would insist on a photo. I love having photos of them around the house, on this particular occasion we got Stephen, Sharon's friend to take us sitting together on the settee. We were all posing, smiling happily but Benni was crying with laughter. The photo was taken before we realised why he had been laughing so much. He had that on that particular t shirt! When Steven got them developed, he painted bits out and tried to make it look like FLICKS. I have that photo framed and placed in the living room. Everytime I look at it, I have to smile.
GrahamP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was very fond of his grey 'Tesco' jumper!

I remember him being pleased because a magazine had stopped him in London and asked to take his picture. Can't remember what his get-up was, but he was looking pretty cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    benniesposito.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: